Martinsville Bulletin, Inc.
P. O. Box 3711
204 Broad Street
Martinsville, Virginia 24115
Toll Free: 800-234-6575
Area sports calendar
Thursday, January 17, 2013
* Staring Tuesday, March 6, pick-up soccer games will be played at 7 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday at the Smith River Sports Complex. The cost is $5 per player each night for men and women 18 and older. Call 638-5200 or visit www.SouthernVirginiaSports.com for more information.
* Henry County Parks and Recreation Senior Services and Beaver Hills Golf Course are offering nine holes of golf for $8 on Mondays for any adult 50 years of age or older. The program begins July 11, and the first tee time will start at 9 a.m. The cost includes the cart fee. Call HCPR at 634-4644 with questions or to register for the activity.
* Martial arts will be held after school on weekdays at various elementary schools in conjunction with Korean Martial Arts Academy. Instructor: Harold Gravely. 632-7360 or 638-6191.
* The Henry County Bike Club hosts a beginners bike ride the fourth Saturday of each month at Fieldale Trail at 10 a.m. Those without a bike may contact Activate, and they will try to supply one. www.henrycountybikeclub.org.
* Activate and the Martinsville/Henry County SPCA hosts the SPCA Walking Club, which hosts dog walking each Saturday at 10 a.m. Members may bring a dog or walk one that is available for adoption. No cost. Members receive a pedometer and step tracker, and are invited to a members-only StepTastic Celebration held twice each year. Call Activate at 403-5087.
* Activate hosts a group walk on the Uptown Spur trail off of Depot St. the second Thursday of each month at 4 p.m. Jennifer Dalton of Memorial Hospital leads the walks. No cost. Members receive a pedometer and step tracker and are invited to a members-only StepTastic Celebration held twice each year. Call Activate at 403-5087.
* Martinsville YMCA hosts the Low Impact Walk every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, geared to assist seniors and the physically challenged. No cost. Registration with Activate required. Call 403-5087.
* Cheer America hosts cheerleading classes for 4-18 year-olds at National Guard Armory. Classes are 45 minutes long. Cost: $5 per lesson or pay in full for all classes. Registration dates TBA. (919) 535-8304 or www.ycoanc.com.
* The Henry County Bike Club is open to participants of all ages and skill levels. Weekly rides and monthly meetings vary. Call 634-4645 or visit henrycountybikeclub.org to join. No fees.
* Martinsville and Henry County residents in kindergarten-8th grade are invited to join the Blue Ridge Wrestling Club. Youth practices are held at 6 p.m. every Friday in the Bassett High School wrestling room. Contact coach Jason Moody at 806-8811 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Smith River Valley Canoe Club meets at 7:30 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month. Promotes canoeing/kayaking and provides information on equipment, skills and river destinations. Contact B.R. Bryant, 638-4306, or email email@example.com.
* Blue Ridge Ski and Outing Club meets monthly to promote a variety of activities, such as hiking, canoeing, biking, traveling, wake boarding, picnicking and snowboarding. Call Dennis E. Reeves at 340-5339 or 638-8591, or visit www.brsoc.org. $15 per year for single; $27.50 per year for family.
* Activate MHC offers beginner bike rides at noon on the fourth Saturday of each month. Meet at Fieldale Trail. Free.
* Tuesday Strolls held the first and third Tuesday of each month. Sponsored by Dan River Basin Association, Martinsville Parks and Recreation, Henry County Parks and Recreation, and Activate MHC. Free. Call $634-2545 for locations and times.
* Olympic style Tae Kwon Do offered at Patrick Henry Elementary School. Classes are held at 6:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Cost is $35 per month.
* Wiffle ball for boys and girls 3-5 years old will be available once a week at the National Guard Armory. Fee is $5. Call 403-5140 or 403-5141.