Martinsville Bulletin, Inc.
P. O. Box 3711
204 Broad Street
Martinsville, Virginia 24115
Toll Free: 800-234-6575
Letter: Rick Horton, Randy Scott
Is New College needed?
Friday, April 20, 2012
In the discussion about a new college in the area, the question of need is a critical one.
We believe a community discussion of the following would be helpful to all stakeholders.
1. Do you think NCI (New College Institute) is needed given that Averett, Radford, Virginia Tech, Liberty, Roanoke, Hollins, Lynchburg, etc. are within a 90-minute drive from the area?
2. Given that Patrick Henry Community College, Radford University, King College, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Lynchburg College, Liberty University, Medical College of Virginia, University of Virginia, VT/Carilion School of Medicine and Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine are currently or will be preparing nurses, physical therapists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants or doctors, is there a need for another college to compete?
3. How long will it take NCI to build its name and comparable program offerings to attract the quality students to add value to its degree? How long did it take Radford, Longwood, Averett, etc. to build their name and reputation?
4. Will NCI need a student activities or athletic program to build its brand? If so, will it conflict with the budding athletic program at Patrick Henry Community College?
5. Since no Virginia college chose to adopt NCI as a branch college, what role should that decision play in NCI?
6. Let’s suppose that NCI is built and the Harvest Foundation offered free tuition to it or free tuition to Virginia Tech, Radford, Norfolk State, Liberty, etc. As a graduating high school senior, which admissions offer would you take?
7. Is it in the best interest for our young people and the many unemployed for Harvest to spend $15 million on building a new college plus its annual operating cost or should Harvest use those funds as incentives to recruit small companies (40-100 employees) to come to Martinsville and Henry County?
Rick Horton/Randy Scott
Taxpayer Association of Martinsville and Henry County