Martinsville Bulletin, Inc.
P. O. Box 3711
204 Broad Street
Martinsville, Virginia 24115
Toll Free: 800-234-6575
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
TUESDAY’S WORD was skulk (SKULK). It means to move in a stealthy or furtive manner; to hide or conceal something (as oneself) often out of cowardice or fear or with sinister intent. “These handsome gray birds … are usually found skulking amid the shadows of shrubs and thickets below a forest canopy.” — From an article by Gary Phillips at MyrtleBeachOnline.com, April 11, 2012.
WEDNESDAY’S WORD is accident (Ak-suh-dunt). Following the second work-related accident in two weeks, operations at the factory were shut down so that a thorough safety review could be conducted.
Saturday will be busy in the area:
• Poor Man’s Supper will be sold from 4 to 7:30 p.m. at the Fontaine Ruritan Club, with all proceeds to go to the Ridgeway Fire Department. For $6, you can have pinto beans and more
• A country breakfast buffet will be from 6 to 9:30 a.m. at the Figsboro Ruritan Building, sponsored by the Ladies Auxiliary. Adult meals will cost $6; the cost for children 6 through 12 is $3. Those under 6 will eat free.
• Fairystone Volunteer Fire Department and Ladies Auxiliary will hold a hamburger steak supper from 4 to 6 p.m. and chain saw competition. Registration begins at 2 p.m. The race will start at 3 p.m. There will be an entry free in some of the categories . The supper will cost $6 for adults and $3 for children.
• A pancake breakfast to benefit FAHI will be held at Hugo’s on Church Street, uptown, from 8 a.m. to noon. Tickets are available at FAHI, 40 W. Main St., or by calling 732-3496, or at Holland Tax Service, 106 Fayette St., or by calling 638-3210.
• Carver Road Ruritan Club country breakfast fundraiser will be from 7 to 11 a.m. at 130 Linda Drive, Martinsville. Eat in or carry out meals will cost $6 for adults and $3 for children 10 and under. Fried apples pies will be $2.
• The seventh annual Fieldale Heritage Festival will be held from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. with food vendors, crafts, historical displays, antique tractor display, events for the kids, music, tours and much more.
• Cub Scout “Tiger Cub” will hold a signup from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday at the Martinsville Fire Department. Kindergarten boys can sign up for the Cub Scouts. Any boy from K-5 also can sign up. Call 229-9830 for more information.
• To help the Boy Scouts, a free “dog wash” will be held from 12:30 to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Henry County Animal Hospital at 101 Veteran Road (behind Pizza Hut on U.S. 220 south). It’s free, but donations will be accepted for local Boy Scouts.
• The Martinsville Elks Lodge will hold its annual Fishing Rodeo for kids at King’s Grant Retirement Center’s pond. This is free for children ages 12 and up. Registration begins at 9:15 a.m., and fishing will be from 10 a.m. to noon. Poles, floats and worms will be provided. A hot dog lunch will be provided.
• Piedmont Arts Association will celebrate its 50th birthday with a themed family day for all ages from 2-4 p.m. There will be crafts, snacks and games, plus each participant will get a party favor.
• The Old School Gang and Twin Rock Charity League will present the “Fashionable Christian Ladies Modeling and Talent Contest” from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the charity league on Mary Hunter Drive, Bassett. General admission is $10 with proceeds going to support the Children’s Educational Travels program. For more information, contact James Esters, 629-1340, or Myrtle Penn, 629-5108.
• Tackfully Teamed Riding Academy, 7975 Henry Road, will hold an open house at 1 p.m. with a ribbon cutting for the Sensory Trail, followed by The Wizard of Oz on horseback at 2:30 p.m. Call 627-0024 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Bluegrass at the Rives will feature The Shelton Brothers Bluegrass Gospel Music from 7-9 p.m. Doors will open at 5 p.m. The event is presented by the Lions Club of Martinsville and Henry County.