Martinsville Bulletin, Inc.
P. O. Box 3711
204 Broad Street
Martinsville, Virginia 24115
Toll Free: 800-234-6575
Dozens indicted in county
Among them is man charged in December slaying
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Grand jurors in Henry County issued a first-degree murder indictment Monday in connection with a slaying last year on Liza Court.
Timothy Montrell Jones, 24, of 61 Liza Court, Martinsville, was indicted on one count of first-degree murder in connection with the Dec. 30 shooting death of Anthony Tyrone Hayden. Jones also was indicted on one count each of use of a firearm in commission of a felony and possession of a firearm by a convicted violent felon in connection with the Dec. 30 incident.
At a preliminary hearing in March, a witness testified that she saw Jones aim a rifle at another man’s back and fire a single shot from a distance of two or three car lengths.
Hayden, 37, was walking away when he was shot, according to previous reports.
An indictment is not an indication of guilt. It is a grand jury’s determination that enough evidence exists to hold a trial.
Also among the 55 people who were indicted Monday are:
• Lucas John Donley, 25, Anns Park Drive, Bassett, one count each of take indecent liberties with minor and forcible sodomy, Jan. 23.
• Kary Lee Taylor Jr., 41, 301 Frank Redd Road, Fieldale, on one count each of computer solicitation of a child under 15 to propose sexual intercourse and felony fail to stop for law enforcement officer, Jan. 12.
• Andre Harrison Philpott, 24, 814 Smith Road, Martinsville, on one count each of aggravated sexual battery of a child younger than 13, and take indecent liberties with a minor, between March 1 and Aug. 23, 2011.
• William Garrett Foster, 48, 4561 Chestnut Knob Road, Martinsville, domestic assault, third offense, July 14.
• Michael Larry Prunty, 49, 1018 Oak St., Martinsville, one count of third-offense larceny (shoplifting), Feb. 9.
• Mark Allen Betancourt, 44, 580 Southland Drive, Martinsville, grand larceny, March 3.
• Lonnie A. Sutton IV, 22, 1052 Southland Drive, Martinsville, grand larceny, March 3.
• Christopher James Reynolds, 21, 2153 Oak Level Road, Bassett, statutory burglary of a dwelling to commit larceny, Feb. 25.
• Kristen Elanie Duncan, 19, 226 Timber Wood Trail, Reidsville, N.C., one count each of statutory burglary of dwelling to commit larceny, and grand larceny, Jan. 9.
• Donrell Markese Rucker, 35, 83 Cedarwood Court, Martinsville, possession of ammunition by a convicted felon, March 28.
• Joel Timothy Altamirano, 22, 27 Thomas Farm Lane, Ridgeway, four counts of statutory burglary of a dwelling to commit larceny, incidents in February.
• Michael Paul Cairo, 35, 1133 Garrett Road, Ridgeway, one count each of grand larceny and entering property with intent to damage or interfere, Dec. 10.
• James Marvin Hundley, 30, 253 Hobson Road, Axton, third-offense larceny (shoplifting), Dec. 31.
• Ronald Gene Edwards Jr., 23, 1805 Eggleston Falls Road, Ridgeway, felony fail to stop for law enforcement officer, Jan. 25.
• Jessica Marie Dalton, 34, 80 Poplar St., Ridgeway, third-offense larceny (shoplifting), Feb. 14.
• Brandy Lea Wiseman, 24, 2050 Oak Level Road, Bassett, one count each of third-offense larceny, forgery and utter forged check, March incidents.
• Monica Lynn Castillo, 28, 155 Karlee St., Martinsville, obtaining money or property by false pretense, Nov. 17.
• Joshua Lee Claytor, 22, 75 Terry Court, Collinsville, grand larceny, April 5.
• Rufus Lee Craighead, 51, 53 Anns Court, Martinsville, possess cocaine, Dec. 4.
• Bobby Dean Donovant Jr., 20, 4042 Fairystone Park Highway, Bassett, two counts each of statutory burglary of dwelling to commit larceny, and grand larceny, incidents in December and January.
• Shelby Marie Holland, 41, 1328 Root Trail, Martinsville, forge a public document, Nov. 22.
• Antonio Christopher Gilley, 27, 9512 Abram Penn Highway, Patrick Springs, elude police by endangerment with speed 20 miles per hour or more over the limit, Feb. 19.
• Michael Ray Belcher, 22, 701 Daniel Road, Axton, one count each of burglary — common law and grand larceny, Jan. 11.
• Jonathan Michael Hedrick, 19, 4408 Oak Level Road, Bassett, one count each of grand larceny and statutory burglary of a building with intent to commit larceny, Jan. 13.
• Joseph Daniel Lockhart, 24, 1797 Heidelbach School Road, Stuart, unlawful wounding, Jan. 31.
• Jonathan Robert Smith, 25, 57 Candyland Road, Patrick Springs, one count each of possession of a firearm by a felon under age 29 convicted of a felony while a juvenile within the past 10 years; and maliciously shoot at or within an occupied dwelling, Jan. 31.
• Thomas Evan Collier, 25, 80 Poplar Drive, Ridgeway, one count each of armed common law burglary, use of a firearm in commission of a felony and robbery, Jan. 4.
• Richard Dean Craig, 34, 35 Grace Drive, Bassett, one count each of statutory burglary of a building with intent to commit larceny and grand larceny, Dec. 20.
• Wes Kline Goins, 24, 4696 Morgan Ford Road, Ridgeway, third-offense larceny, Dec. 24.
• Jeffrey Dale Witt, 44, 4805 Airport Road, Bassett, destruction of property — intentional (misdemeanor), July 12.
• Robert William Mathews, 44, 150 Dog Patch Lane, Martinsville, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, Jan. 2.