Martinsville Bulletin, Inc.
P. O. Box 3711
204 Broad Street
Martinsville, Virginia 24115
Toll Free: 800-234-6575
28 people indicted by grand jury
Thursday, November 29, 2012
CORRECTION: An indictment previously included in this list on a charge of practice contractor's profession without the required license was issued against the wrong person, according to Henry County Commonwealth's Attorney Bob Bushnell. Bushnell said he will present an order to dismiss the charge against Kenneth Lee Blankenship, 43, 663 Mica Road, Ridgeway, on Monday, Dec. 3.
Fifty-three indictments were unsealed Wednesday in Henry County.
Grand jurors issued the indictments on Nov. 19, but Commonwealth’s Attorney Bob Bushnell asked that some of them be sealed until Wednesday or those indicted were arrested.
According to an order filed by Bushnell, the sealed indictments were on charges not alleged at preliminary hearings.
He wrote that the “defendants named in such indictments may not expect to be indicted” and temporarily “sealing such indictments would improve the ability of police to locate and arrest such defendants and would reduce the risk of intimidation.”
An indictment is not an indication of guilt but a grand jury’s determination that enough evidence exists to warrant a trial.
Among the 28 people named in the unsealed indictments are:
• Juanita Mary Bumpher, 47, 45 Pasadena Knoll, Martinsville, possess cocaine, July 9.
• Larry Matthew Draper, 24, 207 Hales Fishpond Road, Bassett, embezzlement (grand larceny), between April 1 and Aug. 17.
• Michael Lawrence Gordon, 51, 699 Clyde Prillaman St., Fieldale, one count each grand larceny and obtain money or property by false pretense, Aug. 16.
• Harley Junior Griffith, 65, 3 Tomahawk Trail, Ridgeway, one count each possession of untaxed alcoholic beverages, possess distilling apparatus without a permit, possess ammunition by a convicted felon and possession of a weapon and unlawful alcoholic beverage, Feb. 13.
• Sarah Ward Hairston, 46, 909 Meadow Lane, Martinsville, obstruct justice, June 21.
• Melissa Dawn Hall, 24, 1377 Crestridge Road, Bassett, felony property damage — intentional, Aug. 19.
• Steven Wayne Hall, 45, 278 Lawson Estate Road, Stuart, five counts of possession of child pornography, March 30.
• Karen Lawson Ray, 50, 699 Clyde Prillaman Road, Fieldale, two counts each grand larceny and obtain money or property by false pretense, August incidents.
• Henry Wayne Moore, 54, 1970 Old Mill Road, Ridgeway, one count each fraudulent conversion of vehicle subject to a lien and obtaining money or property by false pretense, May 22.
• Marvin Antonio Pritchett Jr., 32, 81 Laurel Gate Court, Martinsville, one count each embezzlement (grand larceny) between July 1 and July 22 and obtain money or property by false pretense, Jan. 27.
• Harold Lee Spencer Jr., 23, 95 Southridge Court, Ridgeway, one count each enter property with intent to damage or interfere and destruction of property — intentional (misdemeanor), April 27.
• Mark Anthony Stone, 42, 335 Hall Harbor Road, Bassett, two counts each third offense larceny (shoplifting), third offense obtaining money or property by false pretense, and identity theft — fraud, Aug. 4 and Oct. 7 incidents.
• Ramona Lynn Stone, also known as Ramona Boyce, 46, 829 Melody Lane, Martinsville, third offense larceny (shoplifting), Oct. 7.
• Stacy Lynn Turner, 40, Henry County Jail, identity theft to avoid prosecution, June 28.
• Lakeyta Michelle Williams, 33, 1014 Paul St., Martinsville, grand larceny, June 15.
• William O’Bryant Thompson, 21, 1106 Irving St., Eden, N.C., one count each grand larceny, grand larceny (firearm), possess firearm by convicted violent felon and statutory burglary of dwelling to commit larceny, March 22.
• Charles Nathaniel Williams, 33, 771 Sontag Road, Rocky Mount, grand larceny, June 15.
• James Nelson Beal, 58, 30 Rockdale Road, Collinsville, grand larceny, Aug. 2.
• Sharon Lynn Martin, 46, 41 Ruby Court, Axton, two counts obtaining utility service by fraud, Sept. 1, 2010.
• Marshall Ray Gauldin, 44, 57 North Fork Road, Martinsville, obtaining money or property by false pretense, April 23.
• Wendy Murphy Hankins, 43, 814 Hundley St., Martinsville, felony shoplifting (grand larceny), Aug. 2.
• William Shane Travis Goodman, 23, 5678 Daniels Creek Road, Martinsville, possess Schedule II controlled substance, May 19.
• Sonny Ray Robinson, 52, 1205 Tahoe Drive, Collinsville, allow operation of an uninsured vehicle without paying the fee, Dec. 1, 2011.
• Lawrence Michael O’Connell Jr., 51, 186 Hill Top Drive, Collinsville, false statement to firearm dealer, March 12.
• Jesse Gerenett Kidd, 61, 716 Spruce St., Martinsville, false statement to firearm dealer, Jan. 3.
• James Edward Greer, 47, 863 Flamingo Road, Bassett, three counts distribute cocaine, May and July incidents.