Martinsville Bulletin, Inc.
P. O. Box 3711
204 Broad Street
Martinsville, Virginia 24115
Toll Free: 800-234-6575
Council to honor member
Reynolds not returning
Monday, December 10, 2012
By MICKEY POWELL - Bulletin Staff Writer
A reception honoring Vice Mayor Kimble Reynolds Jr. for his eight years of service on Martinsville City Council will be held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the municipal building on West Church Street uptown.
The regular December council meeting will start an hour later.
First elected in 2004, Reynolds is finishing his second four-year term as a councilman this month. He has served one term as mayor as well as three terms as vice mayor. Both positions are two-year appointed offices.
Reynolds decided earlier this year not to seek a third term.
Sharon Brooks Hodge will replace him on the council effective in January.
The reception will be held in the second floor hallway outside the council chambers.
When their meeting starts at 7:30 p.m., council members will formally recognize Reynolds for his service.
Other agenda items will include:
• Discussing a feasibility study for a possible expansion of the city’s fiber-optic telecommunications system.
• Considering a resolution related to financing the purchase of a new fire engine.
• Hearing reports on activities of the Martinsville-Henry County Economic Development Corp. and the West Piedmont Workforce Investment Board.
• Hearing an update on matters discussed during a neighborhood council meeting in November.
• Setting the date for a council organizational meeting in January.
• Considering a proposed policy pertaining to the city’s fund balance.
• Hearing a report on city finances.
• Considering routine-type budget amendments.
• Hearing business from the floor.
• Meeting in closed session to discuss legal and personnel matters.
The council normally meets twice a month but it has only one December meeting due to the Christmas holiday season.