Martinsville Bulletin, Inc.
P. O. Box 3711
204 Broad Street
Martinsville, Virginia 24115
Toll Free: 800-234-6575
School budget includes funds for officers, others
Friday, March 22, 2013
The proposed 2013-14 budget for the Henry County School Division, presented by Superintendent Jared Cotton Thursday, reflects:
• A 10 percent or $459,107 increase in health insurance premiums, a portion of which is due to the Affordable Care Act. This amount does not include federal/state grant employees or the cafeteria staff.
• One additional teacher based on a projected increase in enrollment.
• The addition of an administrative intern at Carver Elementary School, which has more than 500 students.
• The addition of a clerical position to be shared between human resources and budget/finance.
• Under transportation, the addition of a special population driver and aide. “There is always the possibility of enrolling a new student. (The school division is) required by law to transport students to school. In FY2013 (the current year) we had to add two drivers and aides due to new students,” Cotton said during the county school board meeting.
In an interview, he said the special population driver and aide would not be hired if there are no new students.
• An increase in the custodial contract due to the impact of the Affordable Care Act on part-time employees.
• The first year of Qualified School Construction Bond payments for improvements to lighting and HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) at Magna Vista High School.
• Part of the increase in the proposed budget reflects a salary increase approved by the school board after it approved the fiscal 2013 budget to help offset mandated employee retirement contributions.