Martinsville Bulletin, Inc.
P. O. Box 3711
204 Broad Street
Martinsville, Virginia 24115
Toll Free: 800-234-6575
Grand jury indictments unsealed
Fifteen people named in unsealed charges
Thursday, March 28, 2013
Indictments against 15 people were unsealed Wednesday, 10 days after they were issued by a Henry County grand jury and sealed.
Henry County Circuit Court Judge David Williams had signed an order to temporarily seal direct indictments issued by the county grand jury March 18.
Direct indictments are for charges that are not advanced to the grand jury during a preliminary hearing. The person named in the indictment may not expect to be indicted.
A grand jury also can issue regular indictments, which are advanced in preliminary hearing, and the person named in the indictment generally knows the matter will be considered by a grand jury.
Indictments were sealed to “improve the ability of police to locate and arrest” the defendants while reducing the risk of witness intimidation, the order stated.
According to the order, when the people named in the sealed indictments were arrested, or by noon Wednesday, the indictments were to be unsealed and available to the public.
An indictment is not an indication of guilt but rather a grand jury’s determination that enough evidence exists to warrant a trial.
The indictments unsealed Wednesday included 37 counts against 15 people. They are:
• Scottie Lloyd Bingham, 39, 2540 Fairystone Park Highway, Bassett, four counts distribute oxycodone, between July 2 and July 31.
• Jeremy Todd Caron, 39, 215 Low Country Drive, Penhook, one count possess cocaine, Nov. 16.
• Casey Jerrold Cooke, 36, 1530 Birchwood Road, Axton, one count possess cocaine, Sept. 4.
• Kimberly Oliver Craig, 39, 44 Salinas Drive, Bassett, one count distribute oxycodone, July 9.
• James Lee Hagen, 32, 1032 Blackberry Road, Bassett, two counts distribute heroin, second offense, and one count distribute oxycodone, second offense, between July 23 and Aug. 6.
• Jonathan Lewis Hodges, 24, 235 Lafayette Ave., Collinsville, four counts distribute oxycodone, between July 2 and July 17.
• Jerry Wayne Lankford, 62, 157 Wilde St., Ridgeway, one count distribute oxycodone, Nov. 13.
• Bunnie Blankenship Moore, 47, 2101 Angle Plantation Road, Rocky Mount, one count possess cocaine, Oct. 3.
• Jenna Nicole Ore, 20, 2308 Egg Farm Road, Patrick Springs, one count distribute oxycodone, July 9.
• Berkeley Kathryn Robertson, 25, 300 Riverview St., Rocky Mount, one count distribute Schedule I controlled substance, and two counts each distribution of an imitation controlled substance and obtaining money or property by false pretense (misdemeanor), between Oct. 15 and Nov. 14.
• Marketis Rashaud Taylor, 25, 1140 Azalea Acres Road, Madison, N.C., one count distribute heroin, second offense; five counts distribution of an imitation controlled substance; and one count conspiracy to distribute an imitation controlled substance, between July 12 and Nov. 29.
• Kisha Yvonne Tucker, 21, 403 S. Glenn St., Stoneville, N.C., one count each distribution of an imitation controlled substance and conspiracy to distribute an imitation controlled substance, Nov. 29.
• Ronnie Eugene Tunstall, 52, 108 South St., Bassett, one count possess cocaine, Aug. 4.
• James Cody Wray, 18, 421 Long St., Eden, N.C., one count each petty larceny and statutory burglary of building with intent to commit larceny, Dec. 23.
• Jason Jarmaine Younger, 28, 1124 Lee Elgin Road, Woolwine, one count each forgery, utter (pass) a forged check and third offense obtaining money or property by false pretense, Oct. 25.