Martinsville Bulletin, Inc.
P. O. Box 3711
204 Broad Street
Martinsville, Virginia 24115
Toll Free: 800-234-6575
Meals tax amendment on agenda
For Tuesday's council meeting
Monday, June 10, 2013
Martinsville City Council on Tuesday will consider finalizing an ordinance amendment setting the city’s meals tax on prepared food and drinks.
The amendment was approved on first reading during the council’s May 28 session.
For the current fiscal year, the city raised its meals tax on prepared foods and beverages from 6 to 6.5 percent, and that rate will not change.
But officials recently discovered that an ordinance amendment needed to put the current year’s hike into effect permanently had not been adopted. Basically, it was an oversight, said city Finance Director Linda Conover.
Final approval will be considered when the council meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the municipal building on West Church Street uptown.
Other agenda items will include:
• Hearing a monthly report from the Martinsville-Henry County Economic Development Corp.
• Presenting a Governor’s Certificate of Recognition for a Father’s Day initiative.
• Hearing an update on efforts to install wayfinding signs in the city.
• Hearing a report on enhancements to the city’s website pertaining to council meeting agendas, minutes and videos.
• Considering routine-type budget changes.
• Hearing business from the floor.
At 7 p.m., the council will meet in closed session to consult with legal counsel and discuss contract matters that state laws allow to be discussed behind closed doors.