Martinsville Bulletin, Inc.
P. O. Box 3711
204 Broad Street
Martinsville, Virginia 24115
Toll Free: 800-234-6575
Fires do damage in county
Fire crews work to put out a fire that destroyed a home and several vehicles Monday at 2105 Wingfield Orchard Road in Fieldale. No one was injured in the blaze, which was one of three reported in Henry County on Monday. (Bulletin photo by Ben R. Williams)
Tuesday, January 7, 2014
By BULLETIN STAFF REPORTS -
Fire destroyed a home and several vehicles at 2105 Wingfield Orchard Road on Monday evening, one of three blazes reported in Henry County. No one was injured in any of the fires, public safety officials said.
Fieldale Fire Department Chief Brian Shuler said his department received a 911 call about the Wingfield Orchard fire at about 5:30 Monday evening. The Fieldale, Bassett, Horsepasture and Patrick Henry fire departments responded, along with the Bassett, Ridgeway and Fieldale-Collinsville rescue squads.
“As soon as we arrived, we tried to contain the fire because the wind was forcing it to the woods,” Shuler said. At one point, he said, the fire did reach the tree line, but firefighters were able to contain it.
Both Shuler and Henry County Sheriff Lane Perry said all four occupants inside the house escaped without injury, although some house pets may have been trapped. Both men said they did not yet know who owned the home, nor did they know what triggered the fire.
“I do want to say thank you to our volunteer fire and rescue people who work in these extreme conditions and respond very quickly to these emergencies,” Perry said.
The American Red Cross provided disaster relief funds to help the residents, according to a release from the group.
Also Monday, a fire engulfed a single-wide trailer on Morgan Ford Road in Ridgeway, burning the home down to its foundation, according to Assistant Fire Marshal Kiah Cooper.
The blaze was reported around 10 a.m. Monday, Cooper said. The resident was not in at the time, and because the damage was so extensive, there was no way to determine a cause, he said.
“It was a total loss,” Cooper said. “Everything he had was gone.”
The Red Cross provided disaster relief funds to help the resident, who was not named, with meals, clothing and lodging, according to a release from the group.
In addition, a furnace caught fire early Monday in a home on the 7700 block of Axton Road, Cooper said. The blaze was spotted by the resident at about 5 a.m.
Cooper said the home suffered only smoke and water damage, and the blaze was contained to a crawl space near the furnace.