Click for NEWS Click for SPORTS Click for ACCENT Click for OPINION Click for OBITUARIES Click for CALENDAR Click for CLASSIFIEDS Click for ARCHIVES Click for SPECIALSECTIONS
Subscribe  •  Business Directory  •  Recipes  •  The Stroller  •  Weddings  •  School Menus  •  Community Links  •  VA Lottery  •  Contact Us
Friday, May 29, 2015
News Search   

Trent Memorial - Click for Website
Mckinney- Lennox - Click for Website

Martinsville Bulletin, Inc.
P. O. Box 3711
204 Broad Street
Martinsville, Virginia 24115
Toll Free: 800-234-6575

Ameristaff - Click for Website
Moped law now in effect

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Martinsville Police Department is reminding area residents that under a new state law that went into effect July 1, mopeds operated on Virginia roads must be titled and registered.

A title costs $10, the department said in a news release. The annual registration fee is $20.25.

The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will issue one license plate per moped to be placed on the rear of the vehicle, the release said. When registering a moped, customers will fill out a Moped Certification (DMV form VSA 31) indicating how they intend to operate the vehicle.

DMV will not require or collect the following for mopeds: electric vehicle fee, insurance, odometer reading, safety inspection, sales and use tax (moped owners still will have to pay retail sales tax if they purchase a moped in Virginia; mopeds are exempt from personal property tax).

If a moped is operated in excess of 35 mph, it is considered a motorcycle. Owners would be required to comply with all vehicle registration, insurance and inspection requirements, and driver-licensing laws, the release said.

Every moped rider, even if a temporary resident of Virginia, must meet the above requirements if he or she intends to operate a moped on Virginia roadways, even if not required in his or her home state. Generally, drivers operating a moped must abide by the same traffic laws as the drivers of any other motor vehicles, the release said.

To register mopeds, owners should bring to the DMV the ownership document (title or manufacturer’s certificate of origin) that came with the vehicle purchase. Customers without an ownership document may bring in documentation such as a bill of sale with a completed Moped and All-Terrain Vehicle Affidavit in Lieu of Title Certificate (DMV form VSA 12M).

VSA 12M forms may be printed online at or are available at the information desk at any DMV or DMV Select office. Customers without documentation may call DMV at (804) 497-7100 for assistance.


Joe Cobbe CPA - Click for Website
Lockman & Associates - Click for Website
Rives S. Brown Realtors - Click for Website
PHCC - Click for Website
Martinsville/Henry Co. Chamber of Commerce - Click for Website
New College Institute - Click for Website
THE EYE SITE - Click for Website
The Spencer Group - Click for Website