Martinsville Bulletin, Inc.
P. O. Box 3711
204 Broad Street
Martinsville, Virginia 24115
Toll Free: 800-234-6575
Companies may have 500 jobs open at fair
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
By PAUL COLLINS - Bulletin Staff Writer
An estimated 500 jobs will be available at the community job fair today before the Martinsville Mustangs game, according to officials with the Martinsville-Henry County Chamber of Commerce.
The job fair will be from 5 to 7 p.m. at Hooker Field. All who attend the job fair will be given free admission to watch the Mustangs take on the Asheboro Copperheads.
“We’re really excited” to be partnering with the chamber on the job fair, said Jesse Cole, president of the Martinsville Mustangs.
“I think it’s great. A lot of positions are open,” said Amanda Witt, chamber president.
Each job seeker should come prepared and bring a résumé, she said. There could be interviews right on the spot, Witt added.
This job fair is a more relaxed environment than some others, and dress is casual, she said.
Robert A. Knight, business services manager for the chamber, wrote in an email Monday: “We are confident that with the current list of employers and those that we will join between now and Wednesday there will be 500 jobs available. ... A few of the companies expressing the biggest need for employees are Ebay, Faneuil, Results, and Ameristaff.”
“There are a wide variety of jobs available,” Knight said. “We have also spoken with several employers with immediate needs that are unable to participate in this event. The Chamber/Business Services will collect résumés on behalf of those employers and attempt to connect employers with job seekers.”
He noted some of the employers include: “A-1 Business Solutions, a newly announced expansion that is moving into the second floor of the WPBDC (West Piedmont Business Development Center); Blythe Development is hiring workers to help develop Commonwealth Crossing Industrial Park; Eastman is still growing and investing in our area and workforce; Drake Extrusion is another expansion success story as is Ebay.”
An incomplete list of companies, numbers of representatives, numbers of openings and types of positions for the job fair follows:
• A1 Business Solutions: 20 openings; manufacturing/customer service positions.
• Blythe Development: 10 openings; construction/heavy equipment operators positions.
• Faneuil: 45 openings; customer service representative positions.
• Results: 30 openings; customer service reps, tech support, sales positions; bilingual.
• Nelson Automotive: automotive/sales/service positions.
• Virginia Mirror: five openings.
• Ebay: 100 openings over next two months; fulfillment and full time/part time positions.
• Georgia Pacific: five openings; electrical/mechanic positions.
• Ameristaff: 100 openings; varied positions.
• Monogram Foods: 20 openings; manufacturing positions.
• First Piedmont Waste: five openings; sales/customer service positions.
• Hill Chiropractic: two openings; medical/office positions.
• Drake Extrusion: 15 openings; manufacturing positions.
• Maurices: three openings; retail/customer service positions.
• Young Williams: six openings; customer service reps, tech support and sales positions; bilingual.
• Jackson Hewitt: 10 openings; customer service/office positions.
• Eastman: 15 openings; manufacturing/film positions.
• Boxley: 10 openings; manufacturing positions.
• Golden Living Center: 10 openings; medical/office positions.
• Angler’s Choice: five openings; sales/customer service positions.
• Lowes: 10 openings; sales/customer service positions.
• Henry Memorial Park: four openings; sales/customer service positions.
• Roselawn Burial: one opening; sales/customer service position.
• Debbie’s Staffing: 50 openings; varied positions.
• Advanced Auto: five openings; sales/customer service positions.
• Axcess Staffing: 50 openings; varied positions.
• Verizon Wireless.
Also, the Martinsville-Henry County Economic Development Corp., Patrick Henry Community College, WIA and American National University will have two representatives each, and the Virginia Employment Commission will have one representative.
“We would like to stress that we are still accepting more participants and will do so until Wednesday morning,” Knight wrote.
Contact Knight at 252-7015 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or visit www.martinsville.com.