TODAY’S WORD is ornery. Example: Why do you have to be so ornery when it's time to do chores, Phillip?
WEDNESDAY’S WORD was lickety-split. It means A.S.A.P. Example, “Miss Hornsby, I want 350 copies of the field trip form run off lickety-split!” the principal boomed.
More than 20 local employers, including Eastman, Ameristaff, Monogram Foods, Nationwide Homes, Smart Machine, Symphony and Carter Bank and Trust, are needing employees -- and they will be set up at a career fair today at Patrick Henry Community College.
The career fair will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Stone Hall gym. Gift cards and prizes will be awarded to some lucky winners.
One Care of Southwest Virginia and the Virginia Department of Health will host "Prescription Drug & Heroin Misuse Forum" at 7:30 a.m. Saturday at New College Institute. The forum is to teach health care providers aspects of prescribing controlled substances, and it meets licensing requirements. The session is $25 for those in the profession and free to others. For more information or to register, call 423-439-8027 or visit www.etsu.edu/com/cme/pdaf_2019.php.
Love and Hope Ministries, 1844 Virginia Ave., will serve free meals of barbecue and roast beef sandwiches, with side dishes and desserts, at 12:30-1:30 p.m. Sunday.
Martinsville master musician Kevin Lewis is at it again. On Monday, at 6 p.m. in the Magna Vista High School Band room, Lewis will start a "Big Band" for Patrick Henry Community College, and all musicians are invited -- PHCC students, high school students and local residents of any age.
We resume a listing of actual sentences included in "letters received by the Welfare Department," as sent to The Stroller by a reader:
- I am forwarding my marriage certificate and 3 children, one of which is a mistake as you can see.
- My husband got his Project cut off two weeks ago and I haven't had any relief since.
- Unless I get my husband's money pretty soon, I will be forced to live an immortal life.
- You have changed a little boy to a little girl. Will this make any difference?
- I have no children yet as my husband is a truck driver and works day and night.
- In accordance with your instructions I have given birth to two twins in the enclosed envelope.
- I want my money as quick as I can get it. I've been in bed with the doctor for to (2) weeks and he doesn't do me any good. If things don't improve, I will have to send for another doctor.
TUESDAY’S TRIVIA ANSWER: During these weeks, you’re likely to see flocks of turkeys along roadsides and in fields. However, the name for a group of turkeys on farms and other domesticated situations is gangs or rafter.
TODAY’S TRIVIA QUESTION: How many feathers is it estimated a turkey has at maturity?